2000 dial-up configuration
Setting up Dial-Up Networking
1. Click the Start button and select Settings and then Network and
2. Double-click on Make New Connection. After the Network
Connection Wizard starts, click Next.
3. In the Network Connection Type dialogue, choose the "Dial-up
to Internet" option, then click Next.
4. Select "I want to set up my Internet connection
manually" and click Next.
5. Select "I connect through a phone line and a modem" and
6. Uncheck "Use area code and dialing rules." Then type
651-765-8000. If you have call waiting and wish to disable it while
you are online, type *70 in front of the phone number. After
you have entered the phone number, click Next.
7. When you are asked to provide a Connection Name, type TIES and
8. Do not check the "To connect to the Internet
immediately" box because you have not quite finished setting up
the connection. Click Finish.
9. In the Network and Dial-up Connections panel, a new TIES icon
will have appeared. Right-click on the icon and select Create
Shortcut, then click on OK.
10. On the Windows Setup tab, click OK.
Configuring TCP/IP settings
1. Click the Start button and select Settings and then
and Dial-up Connections.
2. Right-click the TIES icon and select Properties.
3. In the TIES Properties window, click the Networking
tab at the
4. For "Type of dial-up server I am calling," select
"PPP: Windows 95/98/2000, Internet" from the pull-down
5. In the "Components checked are used for this
connection" box, make sure the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) box
has a checkmark to the left of it.
6. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) once to select it, then click
the Properties button.
7. In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window, click on the
"Use the following DNS server addresses" radio button.
8. Enter the following in the appropriate boxes:
Preferred DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
Alternate DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
9. If you want to connect only to the Internet, you need only the
following network components: Client for Microsoft Networks,
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and Dial-up Adapter. To remove a
component, click on the component, then on Remove.
to the Internet
You have now completed all of the instructions that are needed for your Internet
connection. To get connected:
1. Double-click the TIES icon on your desktop.
2. In the User Name
window, type in your TIES login from the inside of the CD cover. In the Password window, type in your
the Connect button.
4. When you see that you are connected to TIES, you can begin to use
your Internet browser (such as Netscape Navigator or Internet
from the Internet
When you are finished using the Internet and want to disconnect,
right-click on the Connection Status icon by your clock. A menu will
appear allowing you to choose to disconnect.
Help line home